There are many research reports and other publications that provide additional information regarding re-refining processes and their benefits to the environment. Following is a list of some of these documents.
1. Managing Used Oil: Advice for Small Businesses, EPA530-F-96-004, United States Environmental Protection Agency, November 1996.
2. Managing Used Motor Oil, EPA/625/R-94/010, United States Environmental Protection Agency, December 1994. See definition of re-refining on page 11 and detailed description on pages 22-23.
3. How to Set Up a Local Program to Recycle Used Oil, EPA530-SW-89-039A, United States Environmental Protection Agency, May 1989.
4. Used Oil Re-Refining Study to Address Energy Policy Act of 2005, Section 1838, United States Department of Energy, July 2006. See Resource Conservation Hierarchy at page 1-3.
5. Ecological and Energetic Assessment of Re-refining Used Oils to Base Oils, IFEU, February 2005.
6. Executive Order 13101, Greening the Government, the President of the United States, September 1998. See Sec. 507 regarding procurement of re-refined lubricating oil.
7. Executive Order 13149, Greening the Government, the President of the United States, April 2000. See Sec. 403 (a) regarding mandate for the procurement of re-refined lubricating oil.
8. CalRecycle maintains a great website about re-refined oil at http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/usedoil/Rerefined/
Click here to return to NORA Industry Information